WITH A FRIEND
Emilio is a guest that complains about everything. No matter what his host Alejandro does, he can't make him happy.
Read the dialogue below with a conversation partner.
Emilio: Alejandro, necesito una almohada nueva.
Emilio: Alejandro, I need a new pillow.
Alejandro: Ya hay dos almohadas en tu cama.
Alejandro: There's already two pillows on your bed.
Emilio: Una almohada es muy dura.
Emilio: One pillow is really hard.
Alejandro: ¿Y la otra?
Alejandro: And the other?
Emilio: La otra almohada es muy blanda.
Emilio: The other pillow is really soft.
Alejandro: ¿Algún reclamo más?
Alejandro: Any other complaint?
Emilio: Sí. Tengo dos toallas. Pero una es demasiado grande...
Emilio: Yeah. I have two towels. But one is too big...
Alejandro: Y la otra es demasiado pequeña.
Alejandro: And the other is too small.
Emilio: Exacto. Y el agua del baño está muy caliente.
Emilio: Exactly. And the water in the bathroom is really hot.
Alejandro: ¿Y el agua de la cocina?
Alejandro: And the water in the kitchen?
Emilio: El agua de la cocina está demasiado fría.
Emilio: The water in the kitchen is too cold.
Alejandro: Ay. Pensé que esto sería una visita fácil, ¡pero tú haces todo tan difícil!
Alejandro: Man. I thought this would be an easy visit, but you make everything so difficult!
1. What pairs of adjectives (that is, an adjective and its opposite) do you see in the dialogue)
2. What would you say to Emilio if you were in Alejandro's place? How would you feel?
3. Do you think you're more similar to Emilio or Alejandro? Why?
Roberto and Alfredo are competing against each other to win the attention of the most beautiful girl in school. Do the dialogue below with a conversation partner to find out who wins!
Alfredo: Greets Roberto. Asks him where he's going
Roberto: Responds that he's going to ask Sofia on a date
Alfredo: Says that he is, too; Says that he has a stuffed animal (un peluche) for her
Roberto: Criticizes the stuffed animal (uses the words "soft" and "hard")
Alfredo: Says he also has chocolates
Roberto: Criticizes the chocolates (uses the words "cheap" and "expensive")
Alfredo: Says he also has a bouquet of flowers (un ramo de flores)
Roberto: Criticizes the flowers (uses the words "small" and "big")
Alfredo: Says he also wrote her a poem (un poema)
Roberto: Criticizes the poem (uses the words "easy" and "difficult")
Alfredo: Asks if he has a better idea (una idea mejor)
Roberto: Says he is going to win her attention with his good looks (buena apariencia)
1. Make complete sentences using the adjectives from Lesson 1.7 (one adjective for each sentence).
2. Do you think some of the adjectives in this lesson have an implicit connotation (whether it be good or bad)? Which ones? (Por ejemplo: Sí, el adjetivo "grande" es normalmente considerado bueno. Más grande es mejor porque parece que es más fuerte, más imponente, o que recibes más a cambio.")
3. Think of three things that start one way but then change into the opposite throughout their life. (Por ejemplo: el concreto empieza blando pero se pone duro cuando seca.)
4. List two more pairs of adjectives (an adjective and its opposite) that should be included on the list of Most Important Adjectives.
5. Make complete sentences saying to say what the following things are and are not. (Por ejemplo: Mi almohada es blanda; no es dura.)