1.5 Definite Articles
Activate [SUBTITLES] in English
The definite articles are used to refer to specific nouns (persons or things).
The four definite articles are all translated as "the" in English.
How to use them
1. The definite article always goes before the noun.
2. The definite article you use must agree in number and gender with the noun it precedes.
3. The article “el” combines with “a” and “de” to form a contraction.
When to use them
The definite article is used:
1. To talk about a specific person or thing (whose identity is already clear)
2. To talk about certain things in a general sense
3. To say on what day of the week or date something is going to happen (in this case, "el" means "on")
4. Before a person's title, unless you are talking directly with the person