1.4 Nouns: Gender and Number
Nouns are things, (such as people, physical objects, ideas, etc. Every noun in Spanish is either masculine or feminine in gender.
Rules of Gender
1. Every noun has a gender: either masculine or feminine.
2. The gender determines which article and adjective form you use with the noun.
3. Normally, there's no specific reason why a noun is masculine or feminine.
4. There are many exceptions to the chart above. When you learn a noun, it is best to simply look up the gender and memorize it.
The Plural Form
To make nouns plural:
1. If the noun ends in a vowel, add an -s
2. If it ends in a consonant, add -es
3. If it ends in a -z, the -z changes to -c