1.4 Nouns: Gender and Number
Activate [SUBTITLES] in English
Nouns are things, (such as people, physical objects, ideas, etc). Every noun in Spanish is either masculine or feminine in gender.
Rules of Gender
1. Every noun has a gender: either masculine or feminine.
2. The gender determines which article and adjective form you use with the noun.
3. Normally, there's no specific reason why a noun is masculine or feminine.
4. There are many exceptions to the chart above. When you learn a noun, it is best to simply look up the gender and memorize it.
The Plural Form
To make nouns plural:
1. If the noun ends in a vowel, add an -s
2. If it ends in a consonant, add -es
3. If it ends in a -z, the -z changes to -c